Sunday, November 25, 2012

On Missed Flights and Disappointments...

Five minutes before landing in Bangkok... 
     People often say that misadventures make a great story.  Yes, they do.  I agree.  But on the exact moment that I land my bum in it, a great story isn't really what I had in mind.  Honestly?  All I could think of was --->  God, why me?  For the love of God, why me?

     I remember barely sleeping the night before my flight to Bangkok.  I had been busy with work the entire week that I only managed to pack the night before my trip.  

     Because I am such a cheapskate (and poor), I had to take the cheapest flight out from Clark airport, which meant that I have to travel more than two hours from Manila.  Even if my Bangkok flight was not until 3.40pm that day, I had to catch the 9.00am bus to Clark, otherwise, I will not make it in time for my check-in.  

     To cut the long story short, I arrived at Clark airport four hours too early.  Only to find out hours later that my cheap budget flight will be delayed.  I was feeling smug, knowing that when I get to Bangkok, I still have almost two hours to catch my connecting flight to Chiang Mai.  I mean, I spent a few extra bucks rescheduling that flight, determined that nothing can keep me from getting to Chiang Mai on the very same night.  My plan was flawless.  Or maybe not... 

      I finally landed in Bangkok.  I made it without so much of a fuss.  It felt so good to finally get to this place, remembering how just last year, I had to cancel my Bangkok trip because of the terrible flood.  I craned my neck, looking at the beautiful Bangkok skyline.  Unlike Manila, it wasn't really dotted with towering skyscrapers.  Nonetheless, my head was filled with visions of ancient Siam, of tigers and elephants, of serene beaches and floating markets...  And then I closed my eyes, and suddenly I remembered stories of horrendous ordeals tourists sometimes go through with Thai immigration.  Mechanically, I checked my backpack for planted marijuana and what nots...  Hahaha, I know, it may sound silly, but I had visions of me being featured in Locked Up Abroad...  Hell no...

      I checked my watch...  I had an hour and forty five minutes before I make a dash from Suvarnabhumi airport to Don Mueang airport.  I smiled smugly, everything was going exactly as I planned...  And then the next thing I know, everything started falling apart...

     No, I didn't get busted for planted cocaine...  Instead, the immigration queue slowly squeezed every inch of happiness I felt when I landed in Bangkok.  There were herds, yes, herds of tourists everywhere... 

     By the time I got through immigration and retrieved my luggage, I had 30 minutes left to get my ass to Don Mueang airport...  I ran as fast as I could.  Then I realized that I had only dollars with me.  So barely catching my breath, I dashed for the money exchange counter.  And because I was hopeful, I only exchanged 50$, thinking that I would only need so much to cover my taxi fare to the other airport. 

     And because I was smart enough to pack my eyeglasses inside my luggage, I could not for the life of me read the signs that led to the taxi stand.  So I asked the airport guards:  "I need to get a taxi to Don Mueang?"   And they just stare at me, nodding, pointing at different directions... I was frantic...  I finally found the information counter, only to be told:  "No lady, impossible.  It will take more than an hour to get there.  You will not make it."

    If there's something that I never forgot from my Italian university course, it will be this:  "Per l'amore di Dio!  Perché proprio a me?  Perché proprio a me?"

      I don't have any plan B's...  I was so sure that this will go smoothly that I never even considered the possibility that I might be stranded in Bangkok.  With a heavy heart, I took out my phone...  4% Battery left...  Good job, Kat... Good job!  I phoned the only person I know in Bangkok...  Not minding how much of a dent this call would cause in my phone bill, I clutched my phone tightly waiting patiently for my friend to pick up....  It rang once, twice, thrice...  At the background, I can hear my phone signalling the almost empty battery...  I tried again...  It rang once, twice, thrice.....

     I suddenly remembered how I barely slept the night before...  And it all ends to this huh?  For the love of God, why me?  Why me?

To be continued...

No comments: