Thursday, February 3, 2011

A taste of Saigon

     I was more than anxious to leave Phnom Penh this morning.  The horrors of what I saw yesterday were still imprinted in my memory.  I just had to get out of that city...

City Hall at Night
     The six hour bus ride from Phnom Penh to Ho Chih Minh didn't feel that long.  I was seated next to Chloe, an Australian who used to run an art gallery in Melbourne until she quit her job to travel.  I wish I had the luxury of time (and money) like her.  Libre naman mangarap, bakit ba?  In a few days, my ass will be back in the office and all of these will just be reduced to nothing but a beautiful memory.  While Chloe was busy finishing a quilt (yes, she was making a quilt inside the bus), I was in turn feeding her with info about the Philippines.  I swear, the Department of Tourism would have been proud of me.  



   The bus made its final stop along Pham Ngu Lao Street.  As soon as I got my luggage, I was swarmed with taxi and moto drivers quoting their hilarious prices.  Para akong Math genius, I was busy coverting VNDs to Pesos.  Thinking that I was smart enough to figure out my map (at dahil na rin sa purdoy ako), I smugly declined their offers and made my way across Bui Vien Street where hundreds of cheap hotels dotted the street.  

My pasa (bruise) from fending off the motorbike.  Made in Vietnam!
     Before I came here, I have read numerous articles about the streets of Saigon.  When crossing the street, walk slowly and let the motorbikes move around you.  Piece of cake yeah? So I thought.  I took a deep breath and slowly (s-l-o-w-l-y) made my way across the other side of the road.  I was halfway down the middle until I heard some Vietnamese gibberish screaming my way.  Siguro, yun yung version nila ng: "P*tang *na, tumabi ka dyan!!!!!" hahahahahaha.   Before I knew it, I was face to face with a speeding motorbike.  I was literally waiting for my life to flash before me.  Lord, wag mo naman ako kunin sa ganitong paraan.  Di ako maganda tingnan sa casket ko pag nagkataon!  I froze and held my arms across my chest.  He tried to swerve away but it was too late to save my luggage.  L*che, sa Pilipinas nga hindi ako nababangga!!!  I closed my eyes and brazed myself for the impact.  I felt the metal hit my hand and my hips.  I don't think I will ever forget the screeching sound as he hit the brakes.  My hip bone ached like hell and I found my ass ungracefully on the ground, a few steps away from where I was originally standing.  Masakit pala mabangga ng motor, nakakahiya pa.  Sana truck na lang, at least maawa sayo mga tao....  Pasalamat sya kamay ko lang natamaan nya, kundi wasak motor nya hahahaha.

Pho bo
     So there I was, in the middle of an intersection making a fool of myself.  I stood up slowly, my ego taking bulk of the damage.  Para akong artista, pinapanood ako ng mga tao sa kalsada...  Sabi siguro nila, ang engot naman ng babaeng to.  Magpapabangga lang, sa motor pa!  I wasn't hurt that badly, but I must admit I did lose my dignity there.  The motorbike driver scratched his head and kept saying "Suwi Miss, suwi Miss, suwi Miss."  I guess he was saying sorry, unless "suwi" meant that he was cursing the hell out of me.  I apologized and just smiled, knowing that for the most part, I was to share part (most) of the blame.  I drew consolation from the fact that nobody knows me, in a few hours, this incident will be forgotten.  I am just another face in the crowd.  Just part of an every day motorcycle accident statistics in this part of the world.  So I hurriedly dragged my stupid luggage at the other side of the road, feeling my cheeks grow hotter and hotter from my "star performance".  Really Kat?!?  A motorcylce??  My sorry dignity would have been happier if I got hit by a truck...  But no, it had to be a freaking motorcycle yeah?  Para din pala Manila to, di dapat pinapaniwalaan ang mga traffic lights!  So much for walking slowly huh?




Notre Dame Basilica
     And because I'm smart and one hell of a genius, all the hotels which I have shortlisted were all fully booked.  I was too busy concentrating on Cambodia that I didn't bother to make reservations for Saigon.  I had no choice but to hail a taxi to be taken to another side of the town where the more expensive hotels are.  Ayan, kuripot kasi.  Gagastos ka na rin lang, nagpabangga ka pa!

       I finally settled with Halo Hotel for a $30/night room.  It was double of what had I spent in Siem Reap but I was too tired to look for a much cheaper place.  Besides, I didn't want to be ran over by a motorbike again.  Baka mainis na si Lord, lubus lubusin na nya hahaha.

      After taking a quick shower, I went down the reception to ask for directions.  Wrong move...  Mas gugustuhin ko pa magbigti kesa intindihin yung English nya!   While the receptionist was charming, let's just say that English is not her forte.  So instead, I settled again with a map and prayed to God that I will be able to find my way back to the hotel.

Ca Phe Sua Da...  
     After thirty five minutes, my heart skipped a bit when I caught a glimpse of the Notre Dame Basilica. Haha, to think that I was aiming for the Reunification Palace.  I must have been reading the map the other way around again hahahahahaha.  And just like any other tourists, I took my camera out, put on my game face and aimed for the perfect shot.  Click.  Nothing.  I tried again...  Click.  ANAK NG TINAPAY!!!  Yes Kat, admit it.  You left the battery happily charging away inside your hotel room.  Epic failure, as always.  Reluctantly, I took out my phone and took pictures with a heavy heart. I swear, I will go back here tomorrow with a planned route and a fully charged camera!

  

   Except for the near death experience (ok, maybe not as dramatic as that) with the notorious motorbike, I think I like Saigon.  Tomorrow, I will go around the city and try not to get killed.  Tonight, I stuffed myself with Phở Bò Viên and two glasses of Cà Phê Sữa Đá.  Hello Saigon, you nearly killed me today.... 

No comments: