Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Letter from Siem Reap, Cambodia

Dear Dad and Muymuy,

     It's already 12.57am (2 February 2011) and I still haven't figured out how to close my luggage.  I have tried every technique from rolling my shirts into tiny bundles, sitting on my luggage, rearranging and what nots.  It just wouldn't budge.  So for now, I have surrendered to the idea of dealing with  three hand carries--something that I dread the most.  Blame it on my sisters for asking pasalubong time and again.

     Tonight is my last night in Siem Reap.  In a few hours, I will leave this amazing place and take a 6 hour bus ride to Cambodia's capital, Phnom Penh.  I have no plans and I have no idea where to stay there since I initially decided to skip it altogether.  Bahala na...  I am sure I will find a place to stay despite the upcoming Tet holiday (Cambodian New Year).  

     I know I haven't been updating my blog and had been keeping you in the dark for a few days now.  Rest assured that I am still alive and kicking over here.  Don't worry, I didn't step on any landmines today.  Everyday, I discover new things about people, places and most specially, myself.

     Today, for example, I took a steep hike (1700m) to visit a Hindu pilgrimage site called Kbal Spean, the Valley of 1000 Lingas.  I promise to give you a blow by blow account and write about it later.  But I did get lost for an hour and ended up in the middle of nowhere.  I was able to find the way back, but by then, I was crying and feeling sorry for myself.  And as if it wasn't enough, my foot got caught in a massive tree root (which I swear wasn't there before).  I wasn't seriously hurt, but my ego was hahaha.  Don't worry, I have bruises from climbing the temples the other day too.

     If only I can capture the sounds, the smell and the sights of this place, I would take it home with me.  It is like a different era here.  I wish you can see it one day.

     I know you guys have seen so much more than my few days here.  The many months you've spent all over Europe is probably nothing compared to my brief stay here.  Both of you have been blessed to share your stories about your travels and I had always marvelled at that.  Now, it's my turn.  And I will.

     Please tell Kuya that I am taking good care of his precious camera.  I have tried to follow his tips but most of the times, I just snap away and depend on luck for good shots.  Please tell Ate that the elephant she's been asking for is way out of my budget and most of them have their tusks pointing down anyway. As for Joy, please let her know that I am cursing her from miles away because I can't close my luggage.  

     I love you so much.  I have met so many orphans yesterday and it made me appreciate you and my siblings even more.  Seeing them made me thankful for the kind of life that we were given, the education that you've instilled in us and the unconditional love that you've shared with us.  Our life is far from perfect, but being here reminded me of how blessed we are.

     Thank you for letting me take this journey...  I will try to close my luggage now and get a few hours of rest before I finally bid goodbye to Siem Reap.  I miss you.

 Love,
Kat



     

      

     

No comments: